This course takes massage moves further than just Swedish massage,also looking at the holistic side in more depth.
Body Massage may be applied to any region of the body specifically or generally in a routine. This course takes the massage one step further than the Swedish Massage course.
The critical aspects of this qualification are to ensure that massage is provided safely and effectively according to its intended purpose and having regard to its suitability in terms of the clients physical condition.
This qualification requires an enhanced knowledge of anatomy and physiology and the use of Swedish, Shiatsu and Acupressure techniques for relaxation, lymphatic drainage, posture improvements and stress relief. Also exercises and deep breathing techniques.
How long is the course?
The course is run over 6 days 9.30- 5pm
Plus 1 day for the Principles and practice of Complementary therapies and Business practice for complementary therapies if these units have not been covered in previous course. see course information for details and price. This is compulsory if not covered already.
You will also be required to have either attained the level 3 Certificate(Diploma) in Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology form Complementary Therapies or be studying this along side the course.
Plus 1 day for optional only Health eating and Well-being for complementary therapy client
WEEKENDS: A Saturday and Sunday every month for 3 months , with a final practical assessment set to suit you. These run every other month. See exam dates.
What are the entry requirements?
There are no entry requirements apart from a sound understanding of written and spoken English. You will also be required to have a short interview either in person or over the telephone.
This course contains a certain amount of written work.
If you are worried about your literacy and language skills , we can arrange an on line test from your home to assess your level. If not at an acceptable level we can then advice you how to improve in this area to be able to complete/attend the course.
How is the course taught?
The course is taught through a series of lectures and tutorials, utilising visual learning aids, an interactive smart board and an internet link. Students will also practise treatments upon one another during the practical sessions. There will be two additional practical sessions where students will perform treatments on members of the public. All practical sessions are taught using organic products sourced from a local perfumer www.naturallythinking.com and waxes from www.songbirdnaturals.co.uk
VTCT 4 units that must be covered are:
- Business practice for complementary therapies
- Principles and practice for complementary therapies( to include Health, Safety and Hygiene)
- Knowledge of anatomy,physiology and pathology for complementary therapies( this is covered in separate studies)
- Provide body massage for complementary therapies( to include Reflective practice)
Practical Course Content covered on 6 days
- Preparation of treatment environment
- Preparation of self and client
- Objective of massage
- Legislation governing working practices
- Role of Swedish massage
- Body massage treatments- including all classic swedish massage movements(see Swedish massage course)
- Extra advanced massage techniques- deep effleurage,intro to neuromuscular(NMT),intro to acupressure point,stretching and releasing,calming plus techniques that Suzie has developed over her many years as a therapist.
- Full body massage – legs,back,abdomen arms, neck , shoulders and face
- Also introductory to side lying massage
- Seated massage for back, neck and shoulders
- Prone massage for back, neck and shoulders
- Body dynamics and using your weight and movement to perform an effective treatment with minimal therapist energy
- Basic after care Exercises and deep breathing
- Towel and Sheet draping
- Postural improvement
- Materials, products and equipment
- Treatment plans- short, medium and long term
- Evaluation of treatments/ recording treatments
- Professional behaviour
- Marketing and employment
- CPD and insurance
- Reflective practice
Theory course content covered by home study and assignments or APL or Centre attendance (accredited prior learning) All units below can qualify for this is studies within the last 3 years.
- Business practice for complementary therapies
- knowledge of anatomy,physiology and pathology for complementary therapies
- Principle and practice of complementary therapies
What equipment is required for the course?
Students will be required to wear the college uniform of a plain black short sleeve t-shirt (no logos) or black tunic top, black trousers and flat black clean shoes (no open toes). Please note: this must be a uniform bought for the course, we do not accept every day clothing Students will need to have access to a computer for typing assignments and will need an internet connection with their own email address to enable the distribution of course notes and, importantly, for the submission of assignments. Students will also need pens, notepaper , ring folder and coloured pencils unless they are working directly onto a laptop. Additionally, students will be also be given the option to purchase recommended course books.
REMEMBER YOU WILL ALSO NEED A MASSAGE COUCH FOR CASE STUDIES AND PRACTICE – try not to purchase until after the first weekend when we will be discussing couches and equipment.
How is the course assessed?
The course is assessed by:
- Completed case studies. This consists of treating thirty treatments for at least 12 clients( with a minimum of two treatments each for 6 clients). These can consist of full body, prone and seated back, neck and shoulders treatments. we suggest 5 clients 6 times or six clients 5 times.
- A Practical Assessment half day or evening session- 2 clients to be treated. We find the models. Please see additional information for fee.
- Completed portfolio and assessment book
- Continuous assessment throughout the course in the form of written assignments
For the Anatomy , Physiology and pathology if required
- Twelve assignments
- two multiple choice question papers set by VTCT and to be taken at the centre ( at present this is the current number of questions but will be changing from August, i do not know yet how many). Please note if you took your A&P&P before September 1st 2012 you will be required to sit the two test papers. If older than 3 years then you may be required to cover a few areas missing in your assignments already covered . discuss with centre.
There are also assignments for each unit.
- Principals and practice
- provide body massage
On completion of assignments and case studies, these will have to br printed up along with the feedback forms and put into folder or saved onto memory stick, Cd or card. This must be brought to the centre on your final practical assessment.
Is there any home study?
Independent study is an essential part of this course and you will be required to do practical and theoretical home study between college sessions. How many hours you set aside each week will be up to you and how quickly you wish to become qualified.
What qualifications will I gain?
Upon successful completion of the course candidates will be awarded the Level 3 VTCT Diploma in Body Massage and the Health Academics in Body Massage Diploma.
How much does the course cost?
The cost of the course
£700 which handouts, teaching,assessing and verifying assignments Plus £50 for the half day assessment.
£97 for Body Massage VTCT registration fee.
These units are required for the Body massage, Reflexology and Aromatherapy Diplomas. once completed the principles and practice will not have to be taken again. the reflective practice can be carried out by an assignment after you have attended the course once and does not require study at the centre.
Please also note that once you have completed
- The business practice for complementary therapies and the principals and practice of complementary therapies in any one course this will not have to be covered again.
- HEALTH EATING AND WELL-BEING FOR COMPLEMENTARY THERAPIES
This unit is not compulsory. However if you wish to take this it will be held on Friday of last weekend. the cost is £100 for the day.
Course dates for 2017
Saturday and Sunday 11th , 12th and 13th March, 22nd and 24rd April and 20th and 21st May 2017
Healthy eating optional unit discuss with centre.
Call Suzie about the VTCT Course 01934 877700/07956 371542 Alternatively click here to contact Health Academics online